[SCCC] N6ED CQP story

Craig Gullickson N6ED@geocities.com
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 06:17:40 +0100

                     California QSO Party

Call: N6ED
Operator(s): N6ED
Station: K6MI

Class: SO  Power: HP
QTH: Fresno

  160:       9        7
   80:      57       79
   40:     144       78
   20:     175      223
   15:     183      506
   10:     134      601
    6:
    2:                3
-----------------------------------
Total:     702     1497       58  =  295,800

Club: SCCC

Comments:

After doing single ops from LAX for the last few years, and the K6Z M/M
County
expedition record breaking effort of last year, I wanted to do something
little different this time around.  I think what makes this such a fun
contest
is that there is so many different ways you can enter and have fun.

I decided to try and break the Fresno County record since that was the
county
where I was born and raised and had started my HAM career there.  I
first
thought of doing it from may parent's place but knew very well about the
RFI
problems in the residential area so plan A was to find a station in the
country
where I could operate at will.  I sent emails to old friends and most
were not
available to help out.  I turned to one of my elmers (high school
instructor)
who was responsible for getting me hooked in radio.  He recently moved
on 2
acres and is persuing dreams of building a station.  I called him up a
week
before the contest and asked him if he would be willing to help out.  He
immediately said no problem, come on up!
YEEEESSSS!

The station consisted of a little 20+ year old KT34A and some wire
antennas.
With a week to prepare, John K6MI put the station together for me and
upon
arrival Friday night late, we got everything ready to go.  John and his
wife
Mary took great care of me and everything was wonderful!

Propagation was a little puzzling though with very loud EU calling in on
10 and
15 with good rates in the absence of USA stations.  I was figuring on
300 KF4's
in the log for sure but they were not very plentiful at all.  There were
some
real high scores from some of the out of state ops, great show!!

I had a great time and it was nice to catch up on old times with my high
school
instructor.  I almost doubled the county record so I exceeded my goal
and had
fun in the process.  Thanks goes to all the guys who got on the radio
and made
this contest a real success!  I hope everyone was happy with their
operation
and will return next year to play again.  Remember to tell a friend!!!

Thanks again to all who called in and I will be looking forward to
putting you
in the log in another contest very soon.
73, Craig N6ED

N6ED@geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/n6ed/

--