[SCCC] 5B4AFB

Alan C. Zack k6acz@earthlink.net
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:01:49 -0700

Hello Alf,
Thank you for your QSL and your nice comments regarding a new one for me on
15 meters.  There is no doubt to me that the 5B stations, like yourself and
5B4AGC, are very active.  I do see you guys on the PACKET CLUSTER but either
can't hear you very well or can't get through the pileups.  Any 5B station
who comes up always makes for a big pileup.  Us little pistols with 100 watts
to a dipole, vertical, or loop antenna on the West Coast have little chance
of breaking the pileup of people calling on the East Coast and Central U.S.
It is really frustrating to hear a W1, W2, W3, or W4 tell a EU or AF DX that
he is not as strong as he was the day before when he worked him (20 over nine
versus 40 over 9), then proceed to tell the DX every piece of gear he has in
the shack, that he had visited the DX country in 1922, tell him all about his
family including the dog, while there are 100's waiting to work him before
the band goes out or the DX has to QRT.  That is why we really appreciate it
when the DX may call for West Coast, W6 or W7 only.  We do get our revenge
from time to time like when the A52, K5K, H44, and other Pacific DX comes up
and the East Coast has to drool while we work them.  But when it is the rare
EU DX it is very hard for us to work from here.
I do have a beam and tower stored in the rafters of my garage.  I can't use
them here because of local restrictions.  I will move again someday and will
put up a nice antenna and get the KW amp going again but for now I am in the
little pistol class.
I mostly get my good DX during contests.  To me, that is when the little
pistols have a better chance.  The DX stations only want a quick signal
report.  The DX don't want to hear what you are running, that your Aunt
Millie visited the DX country last year, or the family dog or cat says
hello.  That means the DX works many stations quickly and the little pistol
can get in a call.  The pileups are worked fast and everyone has a better
chance of getting through.
Thanks again for your note and please don't be surprised if someone from the
West Coast tells you it is a new one for them.  For every East Coast station
you hear and work there are maybe 50 West Coast stations calling that are in
the background.  Please stand by for us from time to time if you think of it.
Once again, thanks for the new one and I do appreciate the quick return of
your QSL.
I am sending a copy of this to our Southern Calif Contest Club reflector.
Many members of the SCCC are also members of the Southern Calif DX Club but
the SCDXC does not have a reflector to which all the members can be reached.
Perhaps some other of our membership will pass on to you their appreciation
of when the rare EU DX such as yourself stand by once in awhile for the West
Coast.
73, Alan, K6ACZ

			  Amateur Radio Station K6ACZ
                     Anaheim, Southern California, USA