[SCCC] ARRLDX SSB N6WS SOAB(A) QRP

Bill & Chris Shell n6ws@msn.com
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 19:09:50 -0800

                     ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N6WS
Operator(s): N6WS
Station: N6WS

Class: SOAB(A) QRP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 27.8

  160:      1      1
   80:     23     13
   40:     46     22
   20:    170     69
   15:    239     88
   10:    376     87
----------------------
Total:    858    280  =  718,200

Club: SCCC

Equipment:  Yaesu FT-1000MP MkV, Cushcraft X-9 w/X-940 at 55 ft., quarter
wave slopers on 80 & 160.

Comments:
I started off by discovering, just 15 minutes before the contest started,
the cable I use between the computer soundcard and the radio would not work
on my 1000MP-MkV.  The cable had worked for two years on my 1000MP.  I just
assumed it would work ok on the new model.  Wrong!  So, I worked the whole
contest with my own voice.  I had forgotten what it was like without a DVP
or soundcard.
On 160 meters it was impossible to be heard.  I wasn't even able to work the
really strong stations like XA5T.  On Sunday morning just before sunrise, I
worked one KH7.
On 80, I was able to wait until the pileups dwindled, and work the usual
easy stations.  Craig, N6ED, commented that he had never heard me calling
for so long without a response.  Actually, Craig said yelling instead of
calling, and that was probably a more accurate description of what I was
doing.
On 40 meters, I was able to work one European station.  I was happy with
that accomplishment, since Europe is very difficult on SSB from California
using QRP.
On 20 meters, I had good periods during band openings and closings when
stations were able to hear me, but during middle of the day contacts were
impossible.
15 and 10 meters were the workhorses.  I was able to make contacts
throughout the daylight periods.  On 10 meters, I was able to run for about
an hour period on Saturday night, before a few strong stations ran me off.
The highlight of the contest was hearing a Caribbean station that was
obviously frustrated with the depth of the pileup he created, say;  "I can't
understand any of you when you all call at the same time."  "Now, call me
one at a time."  Yeah right, like any station was going to wait to be the
second station that called.

73, Bill
N6WS
n6ws@msn.com