[SCCC] SO2R Setup Description/Question

Coker, Timothy J TJCoker@lasd.org
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 18:51:26 -0700

Hi, below is an email I sent to Array Solutions to find out information
regarding SO2R. I'd appreciate it if anyone on the list who has SO2R
experience
could read over the email and offer any advice/answers/suggestions. Thanks
for
any help, Tim N6WIN.

Hi, I have not operated SO2R yet but would like to get setup for this
contest
season. One of the 1st thoughts that come to my mind immediately is to
purchase
the needed equipment needed to get my setup working now and for the
equipment
to be used for my next QTH.

Having stated the above I will outline my equipment used at the station I
guest
op and along with my current QTH.

Guest op station:
* Kenwood 950S & Yaesu FT1000 Mk V
* Cushcraft A4S, D40 rotatable dipole, A3WS & 80m Bazooka on one tower, one
feedline per antenna coming into shack
* Alpha 77DX
* Heil Proset, footswitch and adapter cables
* Writelog Contest software

Home QTH:
* Yaesu FT1000 MK V & Yaesu FT-100
* Mosley TA-33 Tribander, Rotable 12/17m dipole, 6m yagi, 40m dipole, 30m
dipole seperate feedlines per antenna to shack
* Alpha 374A
* Heil Proset, footswitch and adapter cables
* Writelog Contest software

95% of the contesting is done at the guest station, DX is the mainstay use
of
my home QTH.

***Antenna Switching***

Band Decoding
I would like to use the band decoder information that the Yaesu will output
during contests... not sure how the 950S would work for automatic decoding.

I am currently thinking that a 6X2 Sixpack with one control unit would
suffice
for manual switching. How would I add auto-switching?

***SO2R***

It appears that the SO2R Master with the Two Generic Radio Cable set would
be
the ticket.

***Bandpass Filters***

Right now I am mainly concerned about operating Low Power with SO2R mainly
because of the expense of installation of another amplifier and anything
associated that I might not recognize.

What is my best bet with doing low power SO2R with the equipment listed
above?
I'd like to save some money here if possible, but I don't want to buy
something
cheap to do LP and then replace the items when High Power will come into my
SO2R operations down the line.

What sort of bandpass filters do I need to get the two radios to play? Will
need two sets?

As you can tell I am new to this, I'll be asking some local contesters about

what they are doing to get more ideas. I'd be very appreciative if you could

respond to me with information to allow me to learn more and get an idea of
just what equipment and costs will be needed.

Thanks, Tim Coker N6WIN.