[SCCC] FW: VY1DX Amp Technical Help DE VY1JA

Michael Tope W4EF@dellroy.com
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 19:11:11 -0800

Hi Jay,

The Diawa style cross needle wattmeters that read forward power
and VSWR simultaneously are a good idea for those who are
prone to careless operation of amplifiers. This gives instant feedback
feedback if you are on the wrong antenna. Tuning preset templates
for the plate and load controls can also be helpful (I cut up old
manila file folders for this duty).  At W6UE where we get a lot of
different operators sharing the same equipment, I put a big sign over
the grid current meters on the Alpha 78's that say "WARNING
100mA maximum grid current"!! just to remind people to watch the
gas pedal on the exciters.

Failsafe stuff like grid trip, anode trip, and VSWR trip can be
implemented in most amps, but its not a trivial task.

Perhaps you should hold a couple of amplifier clinics to make
sure everyone is qualified on the amplifier (wear your Tae
Kwon Do uniform for added emphasis of the consequences
for careless operation - hi hi).

Good luck!