FW: [SCCC] Field Day Invitation

Russell Scofield kf6ham@inreach.com
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 18:01:43 -0800

If ya'll are interested in putting together a SCCC operation, I can
provide some darn good (at least I think so) sites out in the desert.
Nice panoramic takeoff and no noise!  I have never done Field Day myself
but would be interesting in helping put something together.

Russell
KF6HAM
760-365-2837

-----Original Message-----
From: sccc-admin@contesting.com [mailto:sccc-admin@contesting.com] On
Behalf Of Martin Woll
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 8:09 AM
To: SCCC Reflector
Cc: Mike Tope W4EF - home; Bob Polansky N6ET; Warren Dowler KE6LEA
Subject: [SCCC] Field Day Invitation

Happy New Year, contesters!

Last fall during the SCCC meeting at N6AA's QTH we discussed getting the
club active in Field Day again.  Due to the geographic dispersion of our
membership it was suggested that several localized teams be assembled to
work either as individual units or as part of  larger local efforts with
nearby clubs.

To that end, the JPL / Caltech Field Day crew has invited up to six SCCC
members to join the W6VIO Field Day team this June at their excellent
Mount Gleason site in the Angeles National Forest.  The site is
convenient to members living in the San Gabriel, San Fernando and
Antelope Valleys.  The operation, led by Bob Polansky N6ET, Warren
Dowler KE6LEA and Jay Holladay W6EJJ, uses the 24-hour advance-setup
provisions of the FD rules to erect tents and towers and assemble
antennas and stations beginning Friday before the event.  The
infrastructure is excellent: Forest Service permits, tower trailers and
portable sections, monoband beams, rigs, coax, generators, networked
laptop computers, tables & chairs, eating facilities, latrine, etc. are
all arranged by JPLARC and CITARC, as are bonus points for publicity,
solar, demo modes and so on.  The transmitter category, typically 4A or
5A, is chosen to insure plenty of operating time for those who desire
it.

 With an operation of this scope, there is a lot of work to do before
and after the operating period: staging and loading of equipment, towing
trailers, pitching tents, building antennas, raising and guying sections
and, of course, taking it all apart and getting everything back down the
mountain.  I'm certain those who would like to operate and help in the
various pre- and post-activities will find it a great experience, as I
have for the last several years.  If you are interested in participating
in the W6VIO Field Day this June, please let me know.  Space is limited,
so get your bid in early!

Separately, I'd appreciate hearing from those of you arranging similar
SCCC involvement in such efforts as W6TRW or planning separate
operations.

73,

Marty Woll N6VI
(818) 773-9655