[SCCC] Sweepstakes

k6na at cts.com k6na at cts.com
Sat Nov 8 05:26:54 EST 2003

Dave Hachadorian <k6ll at juno.com> writes:
>Hey Glenn, did the Valley Center fire get near your place?
>I see it burned down some avocado groves, but I don't
>remember seeing any of those near your place. Jane must
>have been sweating it, with you out of town.
>
>Big Bear was saved at the last minute by a change in wx.

I'll cc: the list in case some of the guys were wondering how things worked
out for me.

They were literally raising the gangway of the navy ship in Florida when
Jane phoned on the 26th to say she was evacuating the house... I had no
prior thought of it.  The frenetic onload activity was such that I wasn't
hearing much news about the fires ramping up.  When she phoned, I almost
jumped ship, but decided that I couldn't do much about it anyway.... I think
she and daughter slept at the high school that first night.  All the
freeways were closed so my son couldn't get home to help.  Complete chaos,
and she drove up our road once or twice each day to see if the house was
still there.  I reminded her that first day about the value of some of the
radio gear (after more important things, of course).  She and daughter
rescued 3 Alphas and 2 Mark V's... is she a champ, or what?  Those Alphas
are heavy.
Yes the fires were very close, about a half mile I think.  It wiped out 150
homes or more, many of Jane's students lost their family homes so it was
very tragic.  One student died in a car wreck while driving madly away from
the fire.  The high school was closed for the whole week.
We have occasional CNN coverage out here so I did see some info about
Arrowhead and Big Bear.  Glad they were (mostly) spared.

73, Glenn K6NA
North San Diego County