[SCCC] TBDC W6VIO(W4EF) Single Op HP

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Jan 1 03:04:17 EST 2004

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W6VIO
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W6VIO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: DM04

Total:  QSOs = 124  Total Score = 672

I had intended to operate the whole contest period, but my wife's dog died
on
Saturday morning so I rushed home from the TRW swapmeet to console her (
the news got me pretty down in the dumps too). After my wife went to sleep
Saturday
night, I made a few QSOs from my home station. Turned out that I had to use
paper
and pencil for logging since the new Belkin keyboard I bought recently to
replace my
old failing Compaq keyboard is a really good antenna (the $8 keyboard I
bought
at Fry's on Monday has since fixed that problem). Anyway conditions sounded
good
with strong signals from the East Coast, so I decided it was worth the drive
over to W6VIO down the road in La Canada where my antenna situation would be
bit better. Got there about 2 AM local time and worked the contest until
about 6
AM local when I just ran out of gas and decided to head home. I got home
with
about 10 minutes to go, so I worked a few more stations with W4EF right at
the
end. My best DX from W6VIO was Greg ZL3IX in RE66 (23 points) who answered
my
CQ. FM5GU had a standout DX signal here (I even worked him from home with my
kludge antenna).

73 de Mike, W4EF..........