[SCCC] SCCC Activities, Gatherings, and ARRL Director Happenings

Richard J. Norton ae327 at lafn.org
Wed Jul 21 20:22:11 EDT 2004

1) W6IRD's SCDXC "BASH"

Many SCCCers will be found at the SCDXC/SDDXC "Bash," to be held on Sunday,
August 8th at 11:30. It will be at Wayne Spring, W6IRD's QTH: 1243 Fairway Dr,
Orange, CA. This is just northwest of the 22 and 55 freeway junction. This is
the gathering that classically took place a W6YA's. Details can be found at
http://www.scdxc.org/bash.html

Wayne, W6IRD, has a really impressive radio workshop, where he restores old
radios and services Collins equipment. It alone is worth seeing. SCDXC requests
RSVPing to bash at scdxc.org so that they get a rough idea of how many to expect.
If you decide to come at the last minute, I'm sure that will be acceptable as
well.

2) ARRL SW DIVISION CONVENTION - PHOENIX

Some SCCCers are expecting to attend the ARRL Southwest Division Convention in
Tucson. Known so far are N6AA, N6ZZ, and W6XD. If others expect to be there,
let me know. Details are at http://www.hamradio2004.com/swdc2004/

3) SCCC SEPTEMBER MEETING

I'm planning to have an SCCC meeting in late September, probably on the 19th
25th, or 26th. I've been working on the K6DDO Camera Store in Hollywood, where
all the Roger Mace, W6RW memorabilia is stored. Dave, K6DDO, has had health
problems and I'm not sure of our meeting's status. If anyone can host the
meeting, please let me know.

4) FALL CONTEST ACTIVITIES

With the recent sale of the W6KP QTH, Southern California has lost its premier
multi-multi contest site. If you are looking for a place to operate any of the
upcoming season's contests, please let me know. If you are willing to host
others at your station, either single-op or multi-op, also please let me know.
Let's get together, and keep active.

5) N6AA RUNNING FOR ARRL DIRECTOR

With SCCCer W6XD's formal announcement that he will not seek another term as
ARRL Southwestern Division Director, I'm formally announcing my candidacy. If
any of you think this is a good idea, I'm looking for campaign assistance (not
financial) and endorsements. If any other radio clubs would entertain a
meet-a-candidate talk for a short time, I welcome the chance to address them.
Please let me know.

I expect getting elected will not be easy. I'm preparing a detailed
statement-of-qualifications. If you want to see it, just ask. I'll post it
somewhere soon.

73,

Dick Norton, N6AA
(310) 455-1138