[SCCC] Help with a project

Martin Woll n6vi at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 14 20:08:56 EST 2004

Welcome, Dave.

I built a trailer-mounted Tri-Ex MW-65 with N6NB many years ago.; it now
resides a the Caltech Club station in Pasadena along with one of a different
design belonging to W6DR.  You might contact CITARC president Mike Tope W4EF
(w4ef at dellroy.com) to arrange a visit to campus to look them over.  I don't
know that I have all my dimensions any more, but these things are
reproducible with some photos and measuring.  If you go ahead with such a
project, let me know; I have quite a few do's, don't's and suggestions based
on modifying and using these things year after year for Field Day.

Almost any crank-up can be accommodated on a trailer, but I wouldn't pay
extra for a massive tower that's self-supporting in tons of concrete because
it won't be self-supporting with any significant load on a trailer.  You'll
probably end up guying the thing when deployed, so consider a lighter- or
medium-weight tower.  Remember, too, that you'll have to park it somewhere,
and the typical design consumes nearly 100 sq. ft. of real estate even when
not in use.

Good luck, and let me know if you'd like to discuss the project further.

73,

Marty Woll N6VI
(818) 773-9655
n6vi at earthlink.net