[SCCC] Getting new contest Ops and participation notes

Dennis Vernacchia n6ki at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 29 16:04:15 EST 2004

Some notes regarding the MS Operation at N6KI this weekend

	I had one XYL Op (K6XTY) Christie that had never operated a HF Radio. Her
OM is a ham and
was watching her generate the pileups. After she finished her shift, they
decided they would get into contesting from their new QTH in Squaw Valley
CA this fall !!!

	One note to mention to anyone who sponsors/trains new HF Ops is, the things
most new HF Ops have problems with and waste most of a QSO time doing is
tuning in voices on SSB,  and dealing with DX station's accents or thier
calling
off frequency ( sometimes purposely).
	One of the assignments I give new Ops is to just listen to the contest in
action BEFORE they come over to operate and practice tuning in voices with
both the main tuning knob and the RIT. Once they get a QSO tuned in I tell
them to try to determine who owns the freq and who is the caller.

Another thing I do when I run into an any hams that say they hate contests
and contestors, is tell
them not to knock it before they have actually tried contesting and invite
them to operate just once
at my station...I have made several converts to contesting over the years
from this sector!

73, Dennis N6KI

P.S. - Also remember to borrow someone else's call to do the the contest with
           so you won't tarnish you're reputation when the new Ops are
massacring the QSO rate !!
          ( just kidding !)