[SCCC] W4EF ARRL 160 CW M/S HP

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Dec 4 18:55:39 EST 2005

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W4EF
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W4EF

Class: M/S HP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5

Total:  QSOs = 129  Sections = 47  Countries = 1  Total Score = 12,528

Rig: FT1000MP MKV and Drake L-7 (~1100 watts)
Antenna: 60 ft series-fed top-loaded vertical

Had the packet on Friday night to see if any DX was being spotted.
Saw KA6SAR spotted by a OK station, so I decided to investigate.
Turns out Mike was in Georgia (probably at NQ4I). Gave him a
QSO, so that put me in the M/S category and then I went to bed.
Saturday night/Sunday morning, I fired up around midnight and did
some S&P for a few hours, but without any packet (had my
computer booted up in DOS for TRlog, so I wasn't setup for
telnet). Seems like me new TX antenna (60' tall top-loaded vertical)
at the home QTH is working okay. I didn't feel all that weak for a
change. I am sure it still could stand to be improved (the radial system
on the west side is still pretty sparse) and there are no radials on
the north or south side (and never will be) due to the property line
to the north and my house to the south.

I was kind of tired from doing antenna work all day Saturday (had to
rebuild the K9AY array at W6VIO because the gardners cut down the
loops - guess it got in their way), so I went back to bed around 0930
UTC and then got up again around 1130 UTC for another 1.5 hours.
Finished off after another catnap with a ~30 minute shot at around
1500 UTC. Seemed like a fair amount of activity, but conditions didn't
seem terribly good. Nice to work many familiar callsigns.