[SCCC] 160 Meters for NAQP - No Antenna?? Maybe So!!!

Art w6ky at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 7 23:24:07 EST 2005

If you don't have a 160 Meter antenna for the NAQP, read on....
Last Dec I figured I would get on 160 and give out a couple of local
160 CW QSO's for the club members. I loaded up the 32 ft GAP
Challenger, but this time instead of using the internal AT on the
756PROII, I used the MN-2700. In the past after listening to the
PRO whine and belch fire for 30 seconds, I would get a match that
would get me from SDG to LAX (maybe). The MN-2700 at
least didn't make any noise and I could still see the rig without any
smoke interference..1st QSO W9NGA in AZ.  Hmmmm Must be
broke. Maybe K6KY is on freq with me. Nope, next QSO K0SX
in Colorado. K7CA in Utah, K8FC in CO,  N7XM in NV,
KG7H in ID and on and on. Ended with K5NA in Tx at his
sunrise....On the 'pipe' (GAP) I could hear stations easy on the East
Coast, and FL..No noise...Great listening antenna for 160.  So, I
figure if I can work TX with the pipe, those of you with 80 mtr vees
should load up 160 and work a few for the NAQP. I don't think
I have ever had a Q on 160 (except when I worked NAQP from
N6ND's) but hope to this time. So turn up the gain and listen for
the pipe!     ....   Good luck to all. I am team captain for 'team last'
and will be scanning the bands for you.
73, Art   W6KY       http://www.w6ky.com