[SCCC] NA6Q, WPXCW 2005

W1HIJCW@aol.com W1HIJCW at aol.com
Wed Jun 1 10:46:39 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/1/2005 7:16:19 AM Pacific Standard Time, k6na at cts.com
writes:
Nice going, Bill and gang.  I have been under a rock and didn't know about
the (new?) station.  I see it is a club station and Randy, SJ, is the
trustee.  So, is it really out at the Salton Sea somewhere?  What are the
long-term plans?  I think it's great that the group is involved in
something like this.  Glad to see it!
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the kind words ... Actually, while the callsign belongs to Randy
(W6SJ), the station belongs to someone else, Al Broaddus, W6EMC. For the past
couple of years, Al has been building up the station primarily as a DX'ing
station. The QTH is in Riverside and is located on about 5 acres. Presently has
three towers with a fourth planned for the Fall. I've known Al through HRO for a
couple of years and he graciously offered to let me organize a small team for
WPXCW this year. We only had a couple of weeks to get ready, so there were a
lot of loose ends.

But the station worked well and we didn't find any major problems. We haven't
reached any final conclusions yet, but I think that Arnie (N6HC), Bob (AA6PW)
and I will be working with Al to take the station to the next level for MM
operation. This is the first time since 97/98 that I've been involved in such a
project and it sure is fun.

BTW, the station has 432 moonbounce capability and 6 meter moonbounce is in
the planning stages. For HF, the next addition is a 4 el Steppir which will
give us a good signal on 40.

Take care and it's nice to have you "out from under the rock".

73 de Bill, W1HIJ/6, aka FOØSCH (2000, 2001, 2002), FO8DX (WPXCW 2001)
Pina Colada Contest Club (KP2AA)
NA6Q Team, WPXCW05
Field Day Teams: NP4A (02), COØUS (03), KP2AA (04), KP2AA (05)