[SCCC] USS Lane Victory Cruise UPDATE...

Dino Darling k6rix at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 10 15:34:48 EDT 2005

(Please forward this to your clubs, groups, fellow Amateurs, friends, and
families.  Some of you may receive more than one announcement)

Greetings to everyone!

If you have not already heard, I'm organizing a group cruise aboard the USS
Lane Victory for August 13, 2005.
http://www.lanevictory.org/cruises.htm  Some people have replied and I am
keeping a separate e-mail list of names for those who want to attend.  But,
it is still not too late to get your name on that list!  If we get 50
people to sign up, we will save 15% off of the regular ticket price!  There
are more details at the end of this e-mail.

I just got off the phone with Dennis DuVall, W7QHO, who is President of the
Lane Victory's amateur radio club (W6LV)...
http://www.lanevictory.org/radio.htm   We spoke about having a special
event aboard the Lane Victory DURING the cruise and he agreed it would be a
fantastic idea!  There are two radio rooms with one of them being the
ORIGINAL CW (only) station with vintage WWII radio gear.  Both stations
will be on the air for operation at sea!  The special event callsign will
be W6LV and certificates will be provided by their club (donations are
appreciated but not required, to help offset the cost of the
certificates).  This will be a low-key special event that you can operate
at your leisure, giving you every opportunity to enjoy the rest of the ship
and cruise!  Operating is not required, so bring the spouse, kids, and friends!

I also spoke with Group Sales aboard the Lane Victory and here is how this
works...

We need to make a $1,000.00 deposit to hold a block of  50 tickets.  At the
discounted rate of $85.00 per person, we need to have 12 people sign up
right away (the first 12 people to sign up will be guaranteed the discount
rate even if we don't reach our goal of 50+ people).  They will hold the
block of tickets until July 2nd (6 weeks before cruise).  I asked if we
could extend that until July 8 due to the 4th of July holiday and the
possibility that people would be out of town; they agreed.  If we are real
close to the 50 people mark, they will honor the discounted rate.  I'm sure
we can find WAY more than 50 people, so tell everyone you know; tell your
clubs; tell everyone!

This is not a fund raising event, its a FUN event!  100% of the money goes
to the Lane Victory.  I would like to see OCCARO handle this event (receive
checks and pay the Lane Victory).  It would be great advertising for the
Council and hopefully stimulate other clubs to join
OCCARO  http://www.occaro.org  We can discuss this at this Tuesday's
meeting, but need to move forward right away.  There would be NO COST to
OCCARO to handle this event!  90% is already completed, we just need to
start collecting money and get the deposit in.  Checks would be made
payable to OCCARO and sent to the P.O. Box listed on the bottom of the home
page.

For those who want to get on the e-mail list for this event, send an e-mail
directly to k6rix at earthlink.net

I hope this meets with everyone's approval!  73!