[SCCC] CQWW CW contest, working on my DXCC, any tips?

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Nov 23 04:13:22 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Ruiz" <usctony at charter.net>

> I'm thinking that using the DX Spotting category will help me find new
> ones.
> Doe this help or does this actually slow you down (I think I read that
> somewhere).

Yes and yes, Tony. Packet can be a useful tool for chasing DXCC
countries, but it has some downsides especially during contests.
When a DX station is first spotted, the spotted station can generate
a pretty huge pileup as all the packet assisted stations descend on
the frequency simultaneously to pick-off the "fresh meat". Depending
on how rare the DX station is and whether or not they are making
their first appearance on that band during the contest, the ensuing
pileup may include a lot of big-gun multioperator category stations.
If you are using smaller antennas or if propagation doesn't favor
you at the time, chances are good that you will have to wait a good
long while to get through the pileup (sometimes hours). This can be
very frustrating. When I run into this, I sometimes put the frequency
of the big pileup into memory and then I go off and search for other
stations to work while the pileup burns itself down. Of course, there
is always the danger that the station will QSY or QRT, but that is
part of the game. The more you operate, the better your judgement
will become as to whether you have a good chance of getting through
any particular pileup or whether you are beating your head against
the wall and need to move on.

If you use packet, don't rely on it exclusively. Use it as a supplement,
not a end-all. Spend as much time as possible tuning the bands.
You'll be amazed how much DX you will be able to find this way.
This has the added advantage that some of the stations you will find
calling CQ will not yet have been spotted on packet, so you won't
likely be competing with a huge pileup of big-gun multi-operator
stations when you call. It won't matter if you don't have the strongest
signal on the band if you are the only one calling the DX station. In
that case, all that matters is that your signal is strong enough to
overcome the DX stations noise floor. Here at my home QTH, I
just have some low-wires (no beam), so I rely on this a lot when
chasing DX.

If you find that you are getting beat-up in the pileups, try tuning up
toward the higher-end of the CW band. Oftentimes, DX stations
who are intimidated by the mayhem down in the extra portion of
the band will call CQ toward the high-end of the band. Also, if
you can find a reasonably clear frequency try calling CQ from
time-to-time, especially if band conditions are really good (here
again gravitating toward the higher end of the band can be helpful).
Some rare DX stations who don't like dealing with running pileups
just go around answering other people's CQs. Calling CQ is the
only way you will work these guys.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't rely on packet for callsign
accuracy. Always make sure you copy the DX station's callsign
off-the-air yourself. Many packet spots are busted callsigns. That
"HJ1W" packet spot you just picked up may really be "5J1W",
and so on.

> I guess, in other contests, I didn't pay attention until
> afterwards & then sort it all out. ACLog (for my regular contact log) will
> tell me when a spot is a new one. I don't think the N3FJP CQWW Contest
> software program will do that for me.
>

> When you send "599 03"  Is it always both numbers "0" & "3" or do folks
> send
> the letter "O" and number "3" without it getting too confusing. Timesaver?

You can do it any number of ways - "5NN 03", "5NN O3", or
"5NN 3" all work fine. If the station I am working is a hot-shot
operator I will generally use "5NN 3". If the station is sending
slower or sounds inexperienced, I may opt to send one of the
longer versions.

> If I don't catch their zone, is it pretty standard to send "AGN"? Will
> folks
> throughout the world know what I mean?

"AGN?" works. Also "NR?" for number is common. As Lee,
KR6X suggested, if you are answering a station who is calling CQ,
you can always listen to him work the next guy to get his zone
number, or you can get it ahead of time before you call him.

Good luck and have fun!!