[SCCC] 160 meters last night ARRL Test

Bill Haddon - n6zfo hounds1234 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 2 16:10:57 EST 2006

From: John Miller <webaron at gmail.com>
> I was "on and off" for several hours last night doing 100% S&P with my
> 30 ft. "No Excuses" 160M Stealth Vertical.
>
> So far, 141 QSOs and 51 sections.

For stateside Q's, last night was simply  the best  ever., well since 2002 anyway.

I arrived home (Marin County) at midnight after frustrating delays at John Wayne (Midwest storms caused cancellation of W Coast flights) and a BART train that took a wrong turn going toward Richmond, heading, apparently bay accident, to San FRancisco.  So missed the critical first 8 hours.

Then had to get the SWR down on the  antenna (it was pouring rain last weekend when I left).  So . . finally got going at  0850Z - 12:50 AM PST-- first Q was VE2TZT.

The first hour yielded a very satisfacotry (for LP)  S&P rate of >60  Then a CQ on 1838 brought a pile up the likes of which I've never experienced in any contest ever, except maybe 10m SSB in the SS in the good years and the CQP with a  4 hour late start from Tehama.

It went on and on and on  . . while calling CQ on 1843 at 1021Z (0221 PST), answers came in a 2-minute period from N1UR in Vt, W1OP in RI, K3ZO MDC and K1PX  in CT, all fairly easy copy using the vertical.  It took  3 years to work VT for 50th 160  with LP;  then another VT stn, K1LPS called at East Coast sunrise.  East Cost remained strong until 0430 PST (1230Z).

The end result was 143 Q's and 63 sections in just over 3 hours of effort.  No juicy DX, no Eu whatsoever, just the usual suspects.  JA's were S-9 at about 1100Z (JA sunset?), but none calling CQ.  All states heard last night except NH, ND and NM, and worked all except those plus KS, HI and ME

After this weeks interesting dialog on radials [NCCC Reflector]  I'll be stringing up as much wire as possible this afternoon, using above ground 1/4 wave wires rising as high as feasible on the far ends.  At present have two elevated radials at ~30 ft.  Knowing , of course that there won't be another night like last night.

73 Bill N6ZFO