[SCCC] W6 Signals at WRTC 2006

W6UM at aol.com W6UM at aol.com
Sat Jul 15 15:30:13 EDT 2006

Greetings to all!

Some perspective from 24 hours of listening as the referee at PW5B, team
SP7GIQ and SP2FAX. Very good location, about 100 mi N of Florianopolis (site 8
on the map).

>From PY the entire contest is to EU, NE direction, NA, NW direction, and  JA,
halfway between but due N, over the pole.

There were NO loud W6 signals on any band.

It may be that none of the W6s pointed their antennas at Brazil to QSO the
WRTC stations, but the overall lack of signal strength surprised me. I surely
know who gets out well from up here, but again there were NO outstanding
signals. Loudest was W6NL, followed closely by N6RO. Neither was loud compared  to
other U.S. signals, and nobody from further south was even close.

Many W6 signals on 80 cw just before PY sunrise at 10Z. Called N6VR for
several minutes with no response.

I hope no one takes these observations as a call for bigger  amplifiers!

73,
Chas., W6UM