[SCCC] N6ZFO CQP County Exp LP 118,092

hounds1234 at comcast.net hounds1234 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 9 01:15:00 EDT 2006

N6ZFO CQP 2006 County Expedition (LP) Tehama
Score: 118,092

Time: 12.5 hours       Club: REDXA

Band       CW Q's      Ph Q's    Mults
10              1
15          150            163
20          137              12
40          195              87
80           75               37
__________________________
               557           300          52

Comments: Again, congrats to NCCC for a fabulous contest. And
tks to Rich, KJ6RA and his CDF colleagues who graciously permitted
me to use the Eagle Peak Fire Lookout for the third year. They
have refurbished the top floor of the lookout, so had the
luxury of a real bed, along with a fabulous mountain and valley
view. The downside was the seemingly endless climbing of two
long flights of stairs to reach the operating position . . maybe
50 trips up and down altogether.

This year I did not have to take a taxi to the expedition site.
Eagle Peak is pretty isolated, and my heart sank upon
noticing the absence of the power plug for the FT-1000 --
the first item I've ever forgotten on a CQP expedition.
Well, Yaseu is great -- they use standard stuff; the power
cord is identical to that used on a computer/monitor, so was
able to get on the air and test the antenna. I had brought
an old, short extension cord and it was a straightford exercise
to hard-wire it into the power supply Fri night.

20m was rough for LP this year; the other bands shined. Ten
meters was open to south america on Saturday-- one Q with
a PY5, who was S-8.

This was an abbreviated effort with essentially no prep time,
so just used a single wire antenna. Two years ago we rigged
a pulley at the top of the flag pole so raising the antenna is a
simple task; one end goes out to a tree, the other to a small
mast mounted on the top floor of the lookout.

Shut down at 0900 Sunday morning so that I could spend a
little time with XYL and get ready to leave for So Cal at 0600
Monday. All-in-all a great weekend with perfect wx.

73 Bill n6zfo