[SCCC] I will have to read the QP rules a few times to know what the hell they mean

J. Edward (Ed) Muns w0yk at msn.com
Tue Sep 26 10:55:57 EDT 2006

The new four-letter county abbreviations for CQP have been carefully
implemented by the CQP organizers to cause minimal impact on contesters.
They have worked diligently with the major contest loggers to insure (1)
that the new abbreviations are used in the log output, and (2) that all of
the prior abbreviations along with "common guesses" will be accepted and
translated by the software into the new four-letter abbreviation.

So, log whatever makes sense to you and it will probably be translated.  If
there is some abbreviation that makes sense to you that is not accepted, let
the CQP folks know and they will probably work to get it into the various
software data files.  For example, I did the new DOM files for TR-Log and
did not delete any of the various abbreviations for each county that were
already there.  I simply changed the target abbreviation written into the
log to be the new four-letter abbreviation.  Although I haven't checked in
detail, I'm pretty sure the other loggers were treated the same way.

Despite all this forethought to minimize the impact of the transition, yes,
change is disruptive to some degree.  Undoubtedly there will be question
marks on sent abbreviations and fills requested at times.  Please understand
that the other side of this issue is the log checking of over 500 logs by
volunteers for months after the contest.  They deal with paper logs, logs of
all formats other than Cabrillo, all manner of multiplier abbreviations,
etc.  Part of the motivation for the change is to minimize the hundreds of
volunteer hours put in by these folks as they endeavor to accept virtually
any form of log.

73,
Ed - W0YK