[SCCC] W6VSS K6UA Dale Hoppe

Dennis Younker NE6I ne6i at cox.net
Fri Dec 28 00:13:46 EST 2007

That's a great story, Tom.

I never met Dale, but about 20 years ago now while living in northern Los
Angeles County, I used to listen to Dale on 75 meters.  I would hear him
almost every morning working long path. He would call CQ LP and work
stations that I could not hear at all. Sometimes he would work them until 8
or 9 am local time, several hours after our local sunrise. Then he would
compare notes with a couple of other So Cal low band DXers.  I was
mesmerized listening to him.  A time or two he let me butt in and work the
station he had just worked.  That of course, was only IF I was fortunate
enough to even HEAR the station he had worked. :)  I don't remember now the
specific station, but one morning there was a pretty rare DX station on 75.
He was weak at my QTH but workable I thought. Dale worked him easily of
course, and after a few others called and worked him, I was still calling.
Dale piped in and told the DX that I was there and asked him to listen a
little closer for me. It took a few more calls but the DX station finally
heard me, confirmed my report and name and got me in the log. To this day, I
don't know what prompted Dale to help me out. He didn't know me from Adam,
but I think Dale reveled in others working DX on 75/80 just as much he
reveled in it himself. In this case, a little nudge of the DX station helped
this little pistol get him. Being one of fairness, Dale did not divulge my
full call nor name to the DX station, just that a "six india" was calling.
"Please listen for him", he said.  Thanks Dale!

I didn't hear Dale on 75 in the evening much. Sometimes, but not often.
Perhaps he was on 160.  If I ran across him as late as 10 pm, he was usually
wrapping things up and getting ready to hit the hay. No doubt he was wanting
to get some shut eye so as to be fresh for long path the following morning.

Definitely, Dale inspired me to chase DX on 80 and 75. I really had no
interest in the band until listening to him those mornings 20 years ago. If
not for him, I probably would not have pursued DXCC on 80.

I always admired him.  Cool, calm and collected. He seemed to never strain
nor yell into the mic to get the DX.

I would often crane my neck while driving along interstate 15, attempting to
catch a quick glimpse of his antennas while I was driving past Fallbrook.
You were lucky to get a two or three second glimpse, and only if you timed
your glance to the west just right.

In 1998, Dale wrote the following article that was published in CQ Magazine.
It was about an 80 meter two element yagi. Naturally!
http://techdoc.kvindesland.no/radio/antennas/20061010170506657.pdf  Of
course, he had been running directional antennas on the band way back in the
1980's.

See you on 75 in the heavens, Dale!

--Dennis, NE6I