[SCCC] Is F/B Ratio Really Important?

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sun Dec 30 18:57:17 EST 2007

> The optimum gain of a 2 element yagi is in the order of 6
> dbi but has a very
> low front to rear ratio.  By going to a 3 element yagi,
> the gain goes up to a
> little over 7 dbi and F/R's in the order of 25 db are
> achievable.  But the
> boom is twice as long.  This begs the question, "Is a 3
> element 40 meter beam
> really worth the extra effort over a 2 element yagi?"
> Probably not if F/R is
> not a consideration.  W6SAI was a strong proponent of the
> 2 element yagi for
> these reasons and wrote about it numerous times.  I like
> the Cushcraft 40-2CD.

It is also possible to phase two elements on 40m and have
over 20dB  F/R and 11.5 dBi gain (over real earth) at a
modest 70 feet of height. That's what we do with a
multiplier/short distance antenna here, since that tower is
small.

In comparison my 47 foot boom  3 element 40M at about 85 ft
has 13 dBi gain (over real earth) and only 23dB F/R.

We paid a big price in cost, weight, and windload to use the
3 element antennas for about 1-1/2  dB more gain and about
2dB of improved F/R...but the bigger antennas certainly look
much more impressive and were available off-shelf. (The 2
element 40 is homebrewed from what used to be a F12 two
element linear loaded 80M antenna.)

By the way I almost never find a single 40 at low height
better than the 40M stack (bottom 85, top 170) at any
distance, unless it is within 500 miles. I'll know about 20
and the rest in a few months when the higher frequency
antennas are finally installed. The 40 is pretty much always
locked into stack mode unless I want to work really short
distances.

73 Tom