[SCCC] Logging Software

Tim Goeppinger timgep at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 23:24:34 EST 2007

I am going to second everything Bob RTW said below.
I have used AC Log and the N3FJP suite for about
18 months.  I use N1MM for all RTTY and other
non-supported contests.

One advantage of AC Log is how it works with the N3FJP
contest logs.  It puts a comment like "Stew Perry
Contest" in every in the comment field for every QSO
it imports.

I think there are a few disadvantages

1.  The log begins to slow way down after about 5000
QSOs.   I am nearing 10K and it is getting VERY slow,
almost 20 seconds for the screen to update sometimes
(1 Ghz computer with 500M RAM).

2.  When importing ADIFs from Non N3FJP programs (i.e
N1MM), it does not enter the DXCC country that you
worked.  The country field is just left blank.

3. The querying capabilities are a little weak.
For example, if you query for Jamaica 6Y in the call
field,  W6YI and K6YUI calls appear along with the
Jamaicans.  It finds the 6Y substring. I don't think
you can use a wildcard like 6Y*.

4.  With the weak queries in #3 above, I still keep
track of DX QSLs with the old ARRL paper logs.

5.  If you are used to the almost weekly updates to
programs like N1MM, you shouldn't expect that kind
of support from Scott, N3FJP.  I think he has been
at version 3.0 for the 18 months I've owned it.
He does try new technology when it comes along, like
that WOTA system.  Is that still going?

I hope these disadvantages aren't a deal breaker
for you.  Like RTW said, the LOTW interface is
tremendous.  The whole suite of N3FJP programs are
a great deal.  I especially like his Sweepstakes Log
for assisted mode.  Truly awesome.

73 & HNY,

Tim K6GEP