[SCCC] ARRLDX CW K6GEP SOAB LP

Tim Goeppinger timgep at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 18 19:46:20 EST 2007

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: K6GEP

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: ORG
Operating Time (hrs): 19.5

  160:
   80:   48    24
   40:   59    28
   20:   63    25
   15:   45    26
   10:    8     3
-------------------
Total:  223   106  Total Score = 70,914

This is the first time I've actually entered an ARRL DX Contest.
For maybe 25 years, I'd work maybe a log page with some cherry-picked DX,
and not submit it.

I really am enjoying my full size 80m dipole.  Just about every mult I
worked
on 80 is a new country for me.

Other than working JA's, 40 seemed really tough.  Worked a handful of Europe
Long Path (I think) last night.

20 seemed to underperform, especially the first day.  Finally worked some
Europe Sunday morning, but not much.

15 was spectacular for the nadir of the solar cycle.  And the opening
on 10 was great fun.  I wish more DX would have QSYed to 10.

Best DX for me:  VP8 on 40
My award for worst cut number:  AK  (I heard it before the DX call, and I
thought some lid in Alaska was sending their state)
Best Callsign (Heard only): EE5E

Thanks to everyone who went on DXpeditions to make this weekend a lot of
fun!

Station:
FT-990 100W
80m dipole sloping from 50 ft
40m inv vee at 50 feet
20m dipole as sloper and vertical
multiband Alpha Delta DX-CC dipole

Software: N3FJP, which worked well

P.S. For SCCC.  Tried unassisted this contest, and see advantages going
WITHOUT packet.
I think I could focus better, and why get drawn into DX-pileups that I could
probably never
win.  Its probably a wash for me assisted vs unassisted.  Probably would
have gained 5 or
10 mults if I was assisted.