[SCCC] Need 1000' ground wire

Dennis Younker NE6I ne6i at cox.net
Mon Jan 15 21:03:37 EST 2007

Hi John,

I assume you are wishing to ground a tower or perhaps your station (or
both!).  I would recommend a minimum of 14 gauge but the larger the wire,
the lower the resistance.  If running short runs of a few feet, it probably
doesn't behoove you to increase the size for the station ground. Outside for
the tower, run the largest wire your pocket book will allow. There, you are
trying to bleed off as much to ground as you can, and nearby lightening
strikes can induce some healthy currents on the tower.  It is a good idea to
really insulate those connections well outside.

Cadwelding is the best but most of us don't have the means to do that.  If
interested in cadweld connections, run it in Google for info and sources.
Most broadcast radio and TV stations as well as cable operators cadweld all
outside ground connections.  They do not have to be insulated and provide a
very long term, low resistance bond.

As for a source for wire, here in the San Diego area, I would probably go to
my local surplus electronics store.  They have pretty good prices on wire.
Not sure what the price is at Home Depot and Lowes, but worth checking.