[SCCC] SCCC Digest, Vol 49, Issue 19

Art k6xt at arrl.net
Mon Jan 22 20:43:50 EST 2007

Rick
I converted my 76PA to vacuum relay output, reed input. Used a HC3
relay. I believe they're available new for about $75, less if you find
some on ebay. My amp had the old kerchunker relay in it so I had to make
my own bracket for the QSK stuff.

This might not be exactly what you're looking for tubewise but it sure
does work in my 76PA.

Plug up the innermost of the 3 holes on the RF deck, the one in the
center. I just RTV'd a piece of perf board over it.

Plug in 2 each 3CX800A in the remaining two holes. Or 1, if you don't
mind less power. Pinouts are an exact match. You maybe can still get new
Si rubber chimneys from Alpha like I did, or make some. Assuming
clearance between the larger plate cooling fins and the top cover might
cause a problem, I used another flat piece of Si rubber between the
tubes and top cover. A small square of fiberglas board would do equally
well, if it is even necessary at all.

Install the Peter Dahl power transformer that fits in the existing
holes, that he makes for 3CX800's. You need this for the filament
voltage change.You'll get about 2400VDC key down in SSB mode. You'll get
1500W out easily, much easier than the 8874's do. I tune it (hispeed
dots) for max out at 1 amp plate current, yielding about 1500W out at
500ma per tube. An added benefit is the 3CX800's have sturdier grids for
that wrong-antenna situation. The xfmr is identified on Dahl's list
"Alpha 76A-2 Power XFMR Special Heavy Duty 3CX800A7's Version".
www.peterdahl.com and he advertises in QST. This hypersil transformer is
smaller, lighter, at least as powerful as the original.

One cautionary note. The amp was built back when power supplies were
built for 1KW rather than 1500W output. If you operate RTTY, use the CW
position because you won't have sufficient airflow across the tubes for
1500W CCS out. That runs 800-900W minimum. Or, do what I did, add a
temperature controlled muffin fan for those tense moments that blows
into the grille on the rear panel. My fan comes on at about 220 deg F
air outlet temp, stopping the temp rise in its tracks.

I've owned the amp since about 1978, replacing the 8874's when they
finally went south with the 3CX800's. It's a Good Thing! Costs a grand,
you end up with contemporary power for about the same as replacing those
sensitive 8874's. This only works economically for existing Alpha owners
like you. Starting from zero I'd go buy a used TenTec amp with the pair
of 3CX800's. Would be nice to have one of the autotuners but my wallet
won't support it.

73 Art