[SCCC] Alpha 78

Glenn Rattmann k6na at cts.com
Mon Jan 22 20:54:40 EST 2007

Rick,

The Jennings RJ-1A relay new is probably $150 or so; check with Alpha
if you haven't yet (your amp uses the 24 VDC version).  If you want
to try the cheaper method, you can get surplus RJ-1A pulls from
medical equipment from Alan Bond at Max Gain Systems in Georgia.  He
has a website:

www.mgs4u.com/

Call and ask him about the relay, I think they might be about $45 or
so if you want to try a used one.

On the gummy paint-- good luck.  Alpha has newly painted front panels
(using modern hard paint) for $130 or so.  I was thinking of getting
a new panel to replace my nasty 76A panel on my old original
box.  Wonder if they give "core credit" for sending in the old metal
panel; seems like it ought to be worth something to them compared to
knocking out new metal work...?

I heard long ago that Dave Ritchie, formerly of this club but now
living up north somewhere had redone some Alpha panels locally in the
LA area and it was much cheaper.  Maybe W4EF remembers that....

Regarding tubes-- I don't know of a specific tube mod other than the
pair of 3cx800 mod that is offered by Dick at:

www.N4UQ.com

If I were keeping the amp for a few more years, and doing a mod, I
would do it that way I think.  Not cheap but you end up with two of
the modern tubes, and don't have to look for 3 of the 8874's.  I have
a friend in the Bay area who had it done by N4UQ and he was happy.

Good luck and let us know how you proceed, I'm sure there are other
Alpha 78/76 owners on here who might be interested!

Glenn K6NA