[SCCC] W6IER @ KQ6ES Phone Sweepstakes

John Simmons kq6es at roadrunner.com
Fri Nov 23 03:27:57 EST 2007

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W6IER
Operator(s): W6IER, N6OO
Station: KQ6ES

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: ORG
Operating Time (hrs): 16

 Band  QSOs
------------
 160:    0
  80:   11
  40:   55
  20:  110
  15:   34
  10:    0
------------

Club: Inland Empire Amateur Radio Club

This was for my local club.  More people were expected to join me but when
that didn't happen I slacked off, got plenty of rest, and worked mainly on
getting familiar with using spots and the computer-radio interface, which
all worked perfectly.  These are all new things for me.  For now they slow
me down and I understand why people refer to 'assisted' as 'distracted'.
The temptation to just sit and click on spots is hard to resist.  Called NL,
VE2, and VE4 many times with no luck, called W6TK and two other SB stations
dozens of times on 80m for that section but was surprised not to be heard.
The low bands behaved very differently toward CA in the CW.  I never heard
or even saw spots for SFL or KY.  Missing KY in the CW and Phone still makes
me shake my head.  I'm sure things will be difficult in yet another way next
year, and the always changing is what makes it all continually interesting
and enjoyable for me.  I've also learned I need to constantly check the
Butternut for connections that are working loose, otherwise tuning becomes
impossible.  This never used to be a problem.  It may be time for another
overhaul and hardware replacement.  I'll be hacking away under my own call
in most of the larger contests this season.  Sharpen your ears to hear me on
160m contest.  Happy Holidays and Good Luck to all!

FT-1000MP
A3 at 20ft
Butternut vertical

John kq6es