[SCCC] CQWW CW K6GEP SOAB(A) LP

Tim Goeppinger timgep at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 29 03:38:13 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: K6GEP

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: CA

  160:
   80:   38    14       20
   40:   50    16       28
   20:   78    19       26
   15:   34    15       20
   10:    1     1        1
------------------------------

I barely eeked out a better score than last year's.  The first 24 hours were
impacted by a high noise level from the Santa Ana winds.  We didn't have
the high winds in Orange County (like Malibu), but the noise floor was
10db over S9 on some bands.  The K index at 3 didn't help either.

Things quieted down my evening Saturday night (K index 2 also), and I was able
to work Africa on 40m.

For those of us on the West Coast, working JA's is the name of the
game to boost QSO totals.  Here is a comparison of 2006 to 2007

                   JA QSO's
Band        2006               2007

80m          0                  4
40m         16                 11
20m         32                 30
15m         19                  5
10m          0                  0

15 meters just didn't open up this year like it did last year.  I was
hoping for a 15 meter opening like the CQ WW SSB, but it just didn't
happen.

Thanks to KH6LC for being my only 5 band sweep.

Thanks to K6NA for the 15 meter Zone 3 and USA mults.  How many zero
pointers do you have in the log, Glenn?  There should be an award for that.

New countries worked:  3X and 3DA0
I worked 3X5A on 4 bands - amazing ears!

The one that got away:  ZB2X on 80 - got a "QRZ ??" out of him but that was it

Rig:  FT-990  100W

Antennas:
         80 meter dipole sloped from 50 feet
         40 meter inverted vee up 50 feet
         20 meter dipole (1 element) up 25 feet
         15 meter dipole up 25 feet

Software:
         N3FJP CQWW Logger - worked well

Congrats to W6ZL, KQ6ES and WA6L for some fine scores on low power.  WA6L's
score with a vertical has me re-thinking my wire antenna farm.