[SCCC] CQP W6PH Inyo County

W6ph at aol.com W6ph at aol.com
Wed Oct 10 19:32:20 EDT 2007

California QSO Party

Call: W6PH
Operator: W6PH
Station: W6PH/6

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: Lone Pine (Inyo County)

80:             94            36         1
40:            292          119        2
20:            320          554       54
15:              19             5
Total:            725          714      57  (No NTYT)

    SCORE:    205,371

Equipment:
   TS-930S plus many amps
Antennas:
   A3S at 45 feet,  40-2CD at 55 feet,  80m vertical

Crying towel part:
    I was working for the Lone Pine Film Festival during the three days
before the CQP and didn't get a chance to set up until Saturday.  I intended to
operate for about ten hours.  I have a permanent 40 foot Rohn 25 with an A3S on
it.  For contests, I use a couple AB-577 masts for temporary antennas.  I
couldn't raise my 40-2CD on Saturday morning because of the winds so I started with
the A3S hoping the winds would die down.  By 3 pm the winds had died down
enough and I took about 1 1/2 hours off to raise the 40-2CD and the 80m vertical
(40 feet of aluminum tubing and 26 feet of wire to the top of the AB-577). For
tunately, all the SWRs were still good from a couple years ago.
    Right after I got back on the air, the fan in my LK-500ZB quit.  So I
replaced it with an AL-1200 that was on the floor of the shack. It had a history
of bandswitch arcing and sure enough it started doing it while I was on 75
SSB.  So I shut it down and went back in the house about 8 pm.  I got up at 5 am
and went back to the shack and replaced the AL-1200 with my old SB-200 that I
have had for 40 years.  It has served my well as a backup amp and I operated
it with about 400 to 500 watts output.
     Although I was going to only operate about 10 hours, I got sucked in for
a longer effort.  I decided to quit at 200K and go downtown.  The CQP is
still my favorite contest and the activity is good.  This is the first year in
quite awhile that I didn't get all 58 mults.  Never heard YTNT.
                                                          73, Kurt, W6PH