[SCCC] K6Z in the CQP

Bob Selbrede, K6ZZ k6zz at ccis.com
Wed Oct 10 23:42:03 EDT 2007

                   California QSO Party

Call: K6Z
Operator(s): K6ZZ, K6VR, N6KZ, WB9AWX, NT6AA, N6NQ

Class: M/MCntyExp LP
QTH: Inyo County

  160:    3
   80:   51     63
   40:  296    110
   20:  264    269
   15:  102     48
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Another CQP from the lava flows of Fossil Falls in Inyo
County.  As always, a good time was had by all.  This year
the CW station was a Yaesu FT-897 and a Cushcraft A3 with
40M add-on kit at 25'.  The SSB station was also a Yaesu
FT-897 and Cushcraft A3/40M combo at 25'.  We also had a
very low 75M Inv Vee and a Cushcraft 5-Band vertical.  The
third station was an Icom 706 with a Hustler trap vertical.
We used networked laptop PC's with miLog logging software.
We operated out of two RV's using a single Yamaha EU3000
generator to power everything.  It ran everything fine but
we did suffer from hash noise from the inverter type
generator.

For the most part everything worked fine.  It took a fair
amount of time before the contest to get the computers and
the wireless network working correctly but in the end it all
worked well.  We had horrible winds on Friday which made
setting up antennas a major challenge.  The winds were so
bad it took two people to open the door to my RV and it blew
me off the steps and  busted the hand railing off my 5TH
wheel!  We haven't had WX that bad since our 1999 trip to
Fossil Falls in which we set the MM County Expedition record
while operating under a tarp in another major wind storm.
Oh yeah..did I forget to mention how much fun this is:)

For us the contest got off slowly.  The CW station started
on 20M and the SSB station on 40M.  The third station
started on 15M CW only managing a few QSO's in the first two
hours.  Things improved after the first two hours and we had
500 QSO's and 53 Multipliers in the log in the first 6
hours.  Our last mult worked was RI with about 2 hours to
go.  We never did work NT.

CU next year!

73, Bob K6ZZ