[SCCC] Some Skimmer Thoughts..

Paul E. Dorey wn6k at cts.com
Thu Aug 28 14:32:16 EDT 2008

Last evening at the Club Meeting there were some lively discussions at our
table about the merits or travails of using CW Skimmer.

1)    There are no true 'purists' - we'd still be beating on logs to try to
get heard across the valley to the next tribe - and then the ACC (Aboriginal
Communications Commission) would have told us that the log would only be of
a certain length with certain amount hollowed out to limit resonance. And no
Big Beaters (sticks) over 3db(b) are to be allowed either

2)    I contest, like most of us, to have fun.  It is fun to have anyone
come back when I call.

3)    My competition is ME - put the score (goal) that you want to
accomplish on a 3 x 5 card in front of your nose and THAT is the guy you
have to beat.

4)    Ask EVERY contact you make if they used Skimmer to find you..and if
they did, delete them from your log and you will be that much more pure

5)    Use a Radio Shack DX-100 (circa 1970's) receiver when using the
Skimmer so when you pound the desk when you missed one, you will
automatically shift 42 Kc (yes it was Kc still back then) and have a
Broadband Skimmer Sweeper of the band.

You say tom-may-toe and we say tom-mah-toe . it really matters not too much
in the scheme of things.  We will still have the Pig Farmer nets complaining
about 'another one of those gol-darned ARRL contests' muckin up the Pig Sty
this weekend.

73,

WN6K, Paul