[SCCC] Fw: ARRLDX CW NT6AA SOAB LP

Dave LaBat dlabat at ca.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 14:37:29 EST 2008

                  ARRL DX Contest, CW

 Call: NT6AA
 Operator(s): NT6AA
 Station: NT6AA

 Class: SOAB LP
 QTH: Orange county

  160:
   80:   37    16
   40:   84    35
   20:  105    44
   15:   36    20
   10:    2     2
 -------------------
 Total:  264   792  Total Score = 92,664

 The joys of portable operating in the mountains! Get up to the cabin about
 two hours before the contest. No antennas up, Ok not a big deal, I can put
 stuff up, but about the third trip into the cabin I realize I have NO
HEAT!!!
Antennas go up first of course. The normal stuff of losing a pulley or two
(squirrels eating the support rope I think!) Having 3/4 of my radial field
ripped up and dumped in a ball (now who did that?). But I get up a 300
 foot loop about 50 feet high fed by the auto tuner at the top. The Sigma
 vertical dipole is the "backup".  Still no heat, I can live with it..
sure.. until
 it got to about 40 in the cabin around 6pm local. Fix the heater, pilot
won't
 light. Weird circuit, 5th try, found the button in the back that allows
gas
 flow...HEAT!

 On the air a couple of hours late. Tuner lasts 20 minutes then quits in a
 current sucking finish. Not good. Work 20 as long as I can. Go out in the
 dark and construct a 40 dipole and pull it "up", maybe 30 feet. Included
angle
 is too great and it won't feed... go to bed.

 Fix next morning, straighten it out get it higher about 40 feet and now it
 works fine! Work some morning 40, but I missed the sunrise stuff, work a
 little 20-15 until the band gets flat and then build and put up an 80 meter
 inverted vee.

 Still, worked a few. The Sigma-5 worked better than a little antenna
 should. The 40 dipole worked great once I got it up and in the clear. By
next year
 I should have a 40 foot tower with at least a tribander, and maybe a 2 el
 40.Hope springs eternal! Score is way off from last year. Murphy won this
 round!

 http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/