[SCCC] N6MM, Harvey Hetland SK

M L MacMedan n6no at arrl.net
Wed Mar 5 20:21:27 EST 2008

At 16:13 -0800 2008-03-05, Richard J. Norton wrote:
>It is with sadness that I report that Harvey Hetland, N6MM, of
>Altadena, CA, passed away today after being hit on his bicycle this
>morning by a hit-and-run driver. The accident took place on La Tuna
>Canyon Road in the San Fernando Valley.

Geez, Dick, what a waste.  A few years ago we lost a manager at JPL
the same way, hit while biking to work in Altadena.

I didn't know Harvey personally but I do remember when the FCC opened
up the two letter "N" block of calls for Extras (in 1977 I think).
Although my first choice was N6NO, many others were asking for their
initials.  I remember being surprised that Harvey asked for MY
initials (N6MM) instead of his own (N6HH) but then I was told he
requested N6MM solely so he could use the phonetics "Mickey Mouse".

So now within two weeks we have lost two Harveys, Hetland and Hiller.
And neither one of them were old fogies.

73,
- - Merv.