[SCCC] CQP In Big Bear

Paul E. Dorey wn6k at cts.com
Mon Oct 6 20:23:33 EDT 2008

                    California QSO Party

Call: WN6K

Operator(s): WN6K,WB6BFG,N6UWW,KG6RCW,KI6AOL,K6AH

Station: WN6K

Class: M/MCntyExp LP

QTH: SBER

 Band  CW Qs  Ph Qs

--------------------

  160:    0      0

   80:   95    125

   40:  243    152

   20:  157    222

   15:   11      0

   10:    0      0

    6:    0      1

    2:    0      0

--------------------

Club:

Comments:

Greetings From Big Bear City:

Well for those of you that logged SDIE, you were wrong.  We decided to make
an expedition to Big Bear and do a quasi FD type setup.  I say quasi only in
the narrowest of terms however.  KG6RCW, Tom and his wife KI6AOL,Christie
hosted us at their inlaw's weekend house on the hill.

WB6BFG, Wild Bill built a tower trailer on an old car hauler and a 40 ft.
crankup tower which held our TH3 loaned to us by Jim, K6ZH.  We hung a
couple of Dipoles for a single feed off the side for 40/80m and set up a
small 35 ft. pipe tower on the back of Andre's (K6AH)GMC Yukon.  They held
the 6 element 2m beam (hey where are all those missing 2m Q's???) and a 3
element 6m beam. (We managed to talk a local in Big Bear City out of a
single 6m Q.)

The first night before the contest as well as the first night of the contest
gave us some gusty (40 mph) winds to test things out but all held up so I
guess we needed to put bigger antennas up.

I ran all of the CW Q's so those that wanted to know who the heck was that
LID on CW ... it was me.  We had trouble with lots of RF in the shack pretty
much the whole contest which caused me a bunch of trouble with keying...

So we ended up looking across the room to see if there was a pause when we
REALLY NEEDED that mult so as to get the job done.

Wild Bill and Tom kept us fed all the time, the house has five bedrooms and
four baths fireplaces all over to keep us cozy (it got down to the 30's
Saturday night)and for the Five Star accommodations we are entirely
grateful.

We learned some lessons and have more to learn, but with the mix of
experienced and not so experienced operators, there was plenty of time to
operate and rest when needed.

As to the conditions...YUCK! Thanks to the low bands there was steady
activity there but only a mini-opening for us on 15m on Sunday morning
otherwise.

We wanted dearly to Sweep but never found QC or NT.

Thanks so much to our hosts and pals that helped WN6K try something new as
well as the 1006 Q's from everyone else.  YEEHAW as Wild Bill is known to
shout and see you in the next one.

WN6K, Paul