[SCCC] K6Z CQP 2008

Bob Selbrede, K6ZZ k6zz at ccis.com
Wed Oct 8 23:25:58 EDT 2008

                    California QSO Party

Call: K6Z
Operator(s): K6ZZ, K6VR, KI6VC, N6NQ
Station: K6Z

Class: M/MCntyExp HP
QTH: INYO

  160:    0      0
   80:    0    114
   40:  251    152
   20:  297    241
   15:    2      0
   10:    0      0
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Eastside Contest Group

Comments:

CQP 2008 brought us back to the lava flows of Fossil Falls
in Inyo County.  Fossil Falls is a rough area to do Field
Day style operations from but it is a great spot in many
respects.  Great views and plenty of room to set up
antennas.  The principal draw back is the wind and this year
was no exception.  It blew hard and continuously most of the
time we were there which resulted in keeping the antenna
towers cranked down most of the time.

We set up two stations each running about 400 Watts (AL-811
and SB-200).  Antennas were two small tribanders (A3 and
TH3JR) on two homebrew tower trailers and an old Mosley 2 El
40M beam but it was only up about 20'.  The inability to
raise the antennas and lack of decent low band antennas
definitely cost us some QSO's.  Once again we missed NT but
we also missed QC.  Radios were an FT-897 and 756 PRO-III.
We used MiLog again which works well with wireless
networking of the stations.

We had a good time though.  Kurt, W6PH drove down from Lone
Pine on Friday afternoon to visit and have a few beers.  The
truth is, we invited Kurt down so we could get him lickered
up and chain him to the tower trailer so we would be the
only ones on from Inyo County.  It almost worked.  He
wiggled his way out and made it home in time for the
contest.  We did enjoy a batch of home brew beer and a great
BBQ dinner courtesy of Vic, KI6VC.  CQP County Expeditions
are a blast.  It's like getting an extra Field Day in every
year.  Try it...you'll like it!

73, Bob K6ZZ