[SCCC] CPU Contesting Tip

Art - W6KY w6ky at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 22:13:12 EDT 2008

Here is a contest operating tip which most of you know, but for those
who don't....
Turn off Windows Update, Virus Scan programs or anything else that
will start running while you are contesting. Get all the background
programs to a minimum.. You have heard the guy (or yourself) sending
an exchange and land a giant pause between dots and dashes. Probably
because your CPU made a decision to do something else other than
pay attention to what you are doing....
Don't know whats running?  Hit 'ctl-alt-del' and check processes. You will
be surprised at the number of things that are running. On this
old Pentium II, right now there are 58 programs running and all I have loaded
is eMail...There are lots of stuff you can't shut off.I use an old IBM 486
Thinkpad for contesting, but when I shut everything off I can, it runs like
my Dual Core IBM X300.....
That's my 2 centavos. yen, rands, pesos, guilders, krones, francs, denars, rubles, cents...
Art  W6KY
www.w6ky.com