[SCCC] CQWW SSB W6PH SOABHP

W6ph at aol.com W6ph at aol.com
Tue Oct 28 10:39:26 EDT 2008

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Lone Pine, CA

160:
80:
40:  169    27       74
20:  413    28       97
15:  193    21       59
10:    7     2        4
------------------------------

Equipment:  TS-930S-AL1200
Antennas:  A3S at 45 feet (permanent tower)
ATB-34 at 55 feet on AB-577 (temporary)
40-2CD at 60 feet on AB-577 (temporary)

Comments:  I couldn't get enthused about this contest.  I got my Field Day
style antennas up on Friday morning without any problems and felt ready for
the
contest.  I started out with a different amplifier that started having T/R
relay
problems after about two hours.  I swapped it for my AL1200 which has an
arcing
band switch problem on 80m which I had not fixed because my LK500ZB had been
working fine.  This really demotivated me, so I went into a less serious mode
of operating.  Except for a couple short periods of calling CQ, everything was
S&P with a goal of maximizing my multiplier totals.  I fell short of 100
countries on 20m although I had heard a few more that couldn't hear me.  I
really enjoyed 40m with a lot of "simplex" contacts above 7125.  A total of 30
European contacts on 40m SSB is unprecedented at my California QTH even though
my 40-2CD is only at 60 feet.  Twenty meters was complete bedlam and I had to
repeat my call many times because of QRM at the other end.  With the high
bands
being closed, everyone is squeezed onto 20m.  There was a broadcast station on
14320 both days that was pretty loud in the mornings.  I have no idea of the
source of it.  Fifteen meters yielded some southern European contacts both
mornings but nothing really north of the Mediterranean area.  I listened on 10
meters occasionally and only heard zone 11 and 13.  I have a few alligator
awards for some central European stations whose power exceeded their ability
hear replies.  As noted by some other west coast stations, there were fewer JA
stations in the contest than previous years.  It may be because of the low
sunspot cycle but not really sure.  I hope to get some of my equipment issues
resolved before CQWW CW.  Retrospectively, I wish I had been more motivated as
it really was a pretty good contest.

73, Kurt, W6PH