[SCCC] Invitation to May 14, 2009 meeting of the Southern California DX Club

n6hc at aol.com n6hc at aol.com
Thu Apr 23 22:37:50 PDT 2009

The Southern California DX Club would like to invite you to our 7:30 PM Thursday evening meeting on May 14, 2009.? The meeting is held at the Syd Kronenthal Park recreation center located in Culver City, CA.? Please visit our web site at http://www.scdxc.org for directions to the meeting place and a map of the area.

Our featured speaker will be Bill Scholz,? W1HIJ, who will show us how to set up a remote station operation.? He will do a live demonstration of how his equipment functions under remote control.? After seeing this presentation, there should be no excuse about missing a DXpedition because of a pleasure or business trip taking you away from your station!

Bill was licensed in 1954 in Rhode Island as WN1HIJ and earned his General Class ticket shortly thereafter.? Deeply immersed in the famous cycle 19, he immensely enjoyed chasing VK/ZL on 10 meter AM.? He was a regular participant in 1RN and EAN CW traffic nets.? After college and graduate school, ham radio took a back seat to "life".? He moved to Washington State in 1968 and became W7GEG, but he let his license expire in 1975.? The ham radio bug bit again in 1996.? He earned an Extra Class license (AC6UH) and then took advantage of the vanity call sign program to reclaim the W1HIJ call sign.? Bill is an accomplished contester and DXer.? He has operated from French Polynesia (FO0SCH & FO8DX), Cuba (CO0US & T42FD), US Virgin Islands (KP2AA) and Puerto Rico (NP4A).? He is in charge of the Telecommunications Division of the US Coast Guard Auxiliary and spends a lot of time on the air on Coast Guard HF frequencies.? For the past ten years he has been one of the friendly faces behind the counter at HRO-Anaheim.

Many of our club members gather before the meeting for dinner at the Roll 'n Rye deli at 10990 Jefferson Blvd., Culver City, CA 90230.? Telephone (310) 390-3497.? Come join us to swap tall tales or learn of someone's latest exploit over the repast of your choice.

If you have any questions about this event, please contact Arnie Shatz, N6HC at n6hc at aol dot com.

The DXers of Southern California are looking forward to seeing you at our May meeting.? Don't miss it!