[SCCC] Tips for shipping Electronic Gear with Fedex andFiling Claims When Wamaged

Dennis Younker NE6I NE6I at cox.net
Wed Aug 19 18:22:33 PDT 2009

As someone who ships from work, and receives a LOT of items at work, my
advice is to pack items in a strong box and leave plenty of space for lots
of packing material.  Many people use boxes that are just slightly larger
than the item, and pack a small amount of packing material into the box.
That is asking for problems.

Each box of any merit has a stamp on the bottom indicating the burst rating
among other things.  Read it and adhere to it. Don't scrimp.  Use a box that
is PLENTY larger than the item you are trying to ship, and use good quality
packing materials (bubble wrap or so-called packing peanuts).  Use a high
quality packing tape, not the inexpensive, thin stuff.  The Office Depot
"heavy duty" packing tape is frankly marginal.

I know that because I use it at the office.  Don't scrimp.

In the case of a transceiver (and similar), I would suggest double boxing
for added protection.

My favorite company for shipping items was Hughes Microwave.  They no longer
exist but I used to take delivery of items regularly from them.  As an
example, we used to get Solid State Sources from them pretty regularly.
They were maybe 6 inches on a side.  They would put it in a box about 15
inches on a side, all foam inside of course, and that box inside of another
box about 30 inches on a side, all filled with peanuts.  You probably
couldn't hurt that thing if you ran OVER it with the UPS truck!

As an aside, I was surprised and pleased to find that Office Depot now sells
biodegradable "packing peanuts".  They are water soluble!  Kudos!  I'm sure
Staples and other large office supply stores have them as well....  That's
my "green" observation for the day...

--Dennis, NE6I