[SCCC] DX from HP1

w6now w6now at ham.jdlabs.net
Thu Dec 24 13:36:01 PST 2009

For some of you who may have heard (and worked) a station from HP1 on 20m SSB on 12/13/09, that would have been me ;-)

I was finally able to sit down and do it the old fashion way: Paper log, no computer, no cans, 5W speaker, and a hand mic. The one thing that does work like new is the TH7 and the 800W heater connected to the Icom radio.

Overall, i had a blast and i remembered why i love this hobby so much.

Stats: ~300 stations in 2.5 hours.

Could someone please teach me how to use those old rotator controllers, you know the one with the "brake" on it. I was afraid of rotating the beam, so i kept it pointing NE the entire time ;-)

Worked Africa, Europe, and NA/SA like never before.

73 de w6now-