[SCCC] k6na sprint cw

Glenn Rattmann k6na at cts.com
Sun Feb 8 21:29:32 EST 2009

                 NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: K6NA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4
One radio, N1MM

    80:  128
    40:  119
    20:   59
---------------------

Team: SCCC #1

I don't recall any stranger conditions for a Sprint-- as everyone
probably observed.  VP2E LOUD, on three bands, but K0FX in CO was
WEAK on every band.  Huh?  Twenty was wide open, a half-hour before
the start.  N2IC in NM was 30 over 9 via short skip.  When the
contest started, signals went quickly into la-la land.  Steve was
S-zero when I tried to work him.  W9RE was always loud, but for most
it was a crap-shoot as to who was loud and who was weak.  KL7RA was
the same strength via my north-antenna or via my east-antenna.   It
was like the Yagis weren't working normally in those
conditions....  Of course, throw in some line-noise, plus a nice S-8
constant buzz of rain static from the big rainstorms moving through,
and it made for fun listening.  NB blanker on-- hmmm, not so nice on
a crowded band.  I don't think I've ever before had a lower total on
20, with a serious one-radio effort-- and never had 80m be my
highest-Q total of the three bands.

Forty was ok early, but also went very long quickly.  Worked CT1BOH
there, but struggled with very weak LAX and Bay area guys, even
Seattle-- awful.  And, I have a north-facing antenna for that
direction, too!  New England was always weak.  Hardly any
Canadians.  Eighty was good, except for my overall noise problem plus
some lightning static.  But again the west coast guys were amazingly
weak a lot of the time.  Big QSB-- on everybody, so it seemed like I
had to ask for lots of NR repeats.

It was nice to hear 'Don' everywhere amongst the SCCC gang.  RIP, OM.

73, Glenn