[SCCC] Geographic Farewell from N6ZFO

Bill Haddon haddon.bill at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 19:48:09 EST 2009

I've had the pleasure of low-level participation on the SCCC reflector
during my two-year+ stint working at the Nichols Institute, the flagship
laboratory of Quest Diagnostics in the beautiful Ortega Canyon (but
defininely not a ham radio QTH!).  Finally, that work assignment ended Dec
31 and I am now more or less permanently at our new QTH (since April 08) at
Kelseyville in Northern Califronia (Lake County). Kelseyville is a small
farming town, 3100  population, on the west side of Clear Lake, which some
say is the premier bass fishing locale for North America.

In January of last year, my XYL Barbara fell in love with a striking house
on Mt. Dali Dona, constructed in the style of a French Provence villa.  Her
OM did not mind the fact that this QTH was the former cite of the Mt.
Konocti TV transmitter and antenna in the 1950's and 60's; the transmitter
shack now holds our wood supply.  The elevation profile at
www.heywhatsthat.com, "Dali-dona",  shows the ham radio excitement of this
location.  It will take a little time to configure antennas, but with 21
acres the potential is unlimited.  By default, we own a small mountain
vineyard (1.3 Acres in Syrah, Petite Sirah, Viognier and Marsanne) and
winery with at 600-case per year bond.  It's called the Demeter winery, soon
to be re-named Tree Frog Winery. Electrical power is supplied by a 12-panel
azimuth-steered array about 100 feet from the house.  The owner installed a
commercial power feed (all underground at 400 VAC) up to the house,
incorrectingly thinking it was necessary for the sale, so we are
well-covered.  Even in this fairly north latitude (39: 00) in winter we
generate excess power.

I  thank Dennnis, N6KI for the use of his great station during an NCJ Sprint
early in my stay.  I also enjoiyed meeting a few of you at a couple meetings
(but always wishing there had been more).  I especially enjoyed reflector
conversations with Tim, K6GEP early in my stay, and it's distinct pleasure
so see what a good CW op he has become.  We worked on 80 CW in last
weekend's NAQP event.

Perhaps your most famous member is Bruce, WA7BNM.  His 3830 score forms are
invaluable for the NCCC Sprint Ladder competition that I started 5 years
ago. See www.ncccsprint.com.  With a little more time available the hope is
to develop this ladder competition to it's full potential. Look for an NCJ
article in the near future.

With your permission, I will remain on the reflector, as the posts are
always informative.

73 Bill N6ZFO