[SCCC] solar panel follow up

randy Johnson randyj at loan-wolf.com
Fri Jun 5 15:36:41 PDT 2009

Thanks to Bill and Marty for weighing in on this.

In lieu of designing and building a voltage regulator to go between the
solar panel and the rig, I asked the ARRL for clarification of their rule
7.3.8. Alternate Power that says::

100 bonus points for Field Day groups making a minimum of five QSOs without
using power from commercial mains or petroleum driven generator. This means
an "alternate" energy source of power, such as solar, wind, methane or
water. This includes batteries charged by natural means (not dry cells).

According the the ARRL If you take an uncharged battery and charge it with a
solar cell and make 5 QSOs with it, you are in compliance with the Alternate
Power rule and may claim the 100 bonus points.

I can do that and pass it along for anyone else interested in this.

Good luck

Randy W6SJ