[SCCC] Invitation to July 9, 2009 meeting of the Southern California DX Club

n6hc at aol.com n6hc at aol.com
Wed Jun 10 14:43:26 PDT 2009

The Southern California DX Club would like to invite you to our 7:30 PM Thursday evening meeting on?July 9,?2009.? The meeting is held at the Syd Kronenthal Park recreation center located in Culver City, CA.? Please visit our web site at http://www.scdxc.org for directions to the meeting place and a map of the area.

Our featured speaker will be?Chip Margelli,? K7JA, who will?moderate?a DVD entitled "The Lost Islands".? This is a fascinating video produced in Russia that details the 2001 IOTA DX-pedition to Arctic islands in North Central Russia.? These islands served as airfields for Soviet strategic bombers and nuclear missile launch sites during the Cold War.? The islands, dotted with Russian polar research stations, are among the most remote and inaccessible in the world, and we get a captivating look into the human condition as well as the passion that our Russian DX colleagues have for our hobby.? Produced on behalf of the Russian Robinson Club, this video will wow you with breathtaking views of the frozen north, and you'll be impressed, as well, by the logistical capabilities of the Russian DXers, who were led by a YL!

Chip is a world renown DXer, contester, late-night TV star, and Vice President for Amateur Radio Sales and Marketing for Heil Sound, Ltd.

Many of our club members gather before the meeting for dinner at the Roll 'n Rye deli at 10990 Jefferson Blvd., Culver City, CA 90230.? Telephone (310) 390-3497.? Come join us to swap tall tales or learn of someone's latest exploit over the repast of your choice.

If you have any questions about this event, please contact Arnie Shatz, N6HC at n6hc at aol dot com.

The DXers of Southern California are looking forward to seeing you at our?July meeting.? Don't miss it!