[SCCC] [TowerTalk] Anyone know the CURRENT Los Angeles CountyZoning Rule...

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Mar 24 20:00:34 PDT 2009

Marty,

My suspicion is that the part of the ordinance which specifies that the
tower be retracted when "not in operation" came about as part of a
compromise to get the maximum height to 75'. In most cases, once a tower
is in place and neighbors start to mentally filter it (like they do with
telephone poles), I'll bet nobody would say anything or even notice if
it is not retracted on a regular basis (the neighbors would have to have
read the ordinance to even be aware of that rule).  Also, one could
probably stretch the spirit of  the "retract when not in operation"
clause by installing an APRS antenna on top the tower. In that case, the
tower would be "in operation" all the time.

Your points about the rigid transmission  line and the number of
telescope/retract cycles are well taken. Especially the latter point
which I had never considered before. I agree that having the option for
a 75' fixed guyed or freestanding tower would be better than having no
choice other than the crank-up. Hopefully the folks who negotiated the
ordinance only gave up on the fixed tower option because the felt they
had to to get the maximum height to 75'.

73, Mike W4EF............