[SCCC] Roof verticals

John Simmons kq6es at roadrunner.com
Thu Nov 26 13:54:34 PST 2009

>From KD6HTN's QRZ page I see the antenna is a GAP Eagle, which uses 3 rigid
80" counterpoises. It doesn't look like a vertical dipole design. I'm not
certain of how it's put together but a roof location should do better with
tuned wires rather than a ground plane. A couple of 1/4 wavelength wires on
the roof for each contest band might have good results. 4 notched twinleads
a la the Butternut design (see www.Bencher.com) would cover 10-15-20-40.

On the other hand, I've operated at the California Speedway with various
verticals duct-taped to a railing attached to thousands of tons of metal
bleachers, and using no radials. They didn't tune well, but they were good
for a few hundred CW contacts without much effort. Just put it up and tune
it close enough and work 'em.

John kq6es