[SCCC] ARRL 160

Vic ki6vc at verizon.net
Sun Dec 5 09:25:42 PST 2010

ARRL 160

Station:   KI6VC
Call:        KI6VC
Op:          Himself
Exch:       SJV (CalCity)
Class:     SOHP "C"
Time:      11 Hrs
Club:       Southern Cal Contest Club

             QSO       Multi        ARRL SEC
160      403          71             61 of 80
Claimed score:   67,624

Station:  IC 756ProIII, AL1200, DX-B sloper apex @ 48Ft
Security:  With Meko under the weather, Sparky had to cover front and back. Gud show!

Notes:

I have very limited experience with 160 most of it bad with poor antennas so I was careful.  Not sure about RFI on a new band, I  held back Big Al to
800 watts and laid out 700+ feet of gound wire, hooked up the electric fence  and plugged into a chainlink fence that covered 3 lots. I'm guessing
this helped.  The DX-B has great coverage - 1825 to '56 sans the tuner with a super sweet spot from  '33 to 46.  It's a keeper!  Everything else fuctioned
great...Hot, Straight and Level!  The noise was something to behold 20 over the whole weekend...Does it EVER get  better?  I was suprised at the
way "weak sigs" work on this band.  I had no problem working stations with S-ESP levels including ZL8X all with one call. Someone with more experience
on 160 will have to say if the band was open as it was I had no trouble working the eastern seaboard, the Caribbean, PAC and AS. I missing only 9 states
for a WAS. A little disapointed I didn't work any JAs.  Some were there but I heard none. Sure could have used more 5 point Qs.  I figured 160 would
mirror 80/40 with a early morning opening. As it was, activity was great and I had some great runs.  Thanks-a-heap to all you CO boys...you really filled
out the log!!.  Sorry to those who tried to 'talk' to me my conversational CW sucks.  As always Tip-o-the-Hat to all you cheerleaders, your spots really help.
Haven't had this much fun on a "new" band since I discovered 15 as a novice.  I can't wait for Stew Perry!

73 KI6VC Meko&Sparky

RF cures Global Warming...Save the world
CONTEST MORE