[SCCC] K6GEP - Brief Contesting and DX Year in Review

Coker, Timothy J TJCoker at lasd.org
Fri Dec 31 12:47:16 PST 2010

ZL8X was a lot of fun, probably because it's our backyard. I must admit the evening opening to E4X on 20m SSB was cool... worked him with a TH7DX at 30' and a full gallon. I know, not as admirable as a wire and a 100w, but I feel like a wire when I am reading K1TTT's Ebook he just made free for download.

Contesting? I'm getting what Doug, N6MJ, described to me as rate addiction. I've been working my tail off with the new towers this year in order to satisfy that quench... only to realize that I just want more!  :)

The biggest improvement for me this year would be CW. I went from only S&P in March to running 'em at 13wpm in August. Now I am running at 25wpm... but I do need a ton of more work to stop asking for the fills so often. I really do enjoy CW contesting now, whereas before it was reluctantly done to improve my CQP score.

Tim, N6WIN.