[SCCC] Brief Contesting and DX Year in Review

W6ph at aol.com W6ph at aol.com
Fri Dec 31 13:17:48 PST 2010

For me, It was having the highest score in the Owens Valley in several
contests
including CQWW, SS, and ARRL 160.  Of course, I was the only entrant  here.

I can think of several highlights.  One was the K6Z CQP M/M Expedition  that
we set up at our cabin on Lone Pine Creek.  It featured K6ZZ, KI6VC,  K6VR,
W1MD, and me.  We had some good antennas and believe we had the
highest M/M Expedition score.  The antennas were all Field Day style  using
my AB-577's and we had a great time.

Personally, the CQWW CW with the great conditions on the low bands  were
awesome.  Working 65 countries on 80m without spots was a real  rush.
And 103 on 40m.  And no antennas higher than 60 feet.  I didn't  think
it could be done from California.

The other highlight was having two Europeans answer my CQ's in the  ARRL
160 Contest for the first Europeans I have ever heard on 160m.  The
surprise
was no flutter to the signals which we get on the higher bands.

I hope to work a lot of SCCCers from VP9 in both modes of the ARRL  Tests.

                                            73, Kurt, W6PH (aka VP9/W6PH)